I am married to a wonderful man who from the first time I met him has made me want to be a better person. Well, that was magnified after we had our 3 children, our son Jack who is 12 and our twin daughters Annie and Emma age 9. After becoming a mother I wanted to be the best possible person I could be for my family. I am in the process of becoming a Certified Health Coach through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and learning from instructors like Dr. David Katz, Dr. Mark Hyman, David Wolf, Dr. Andrew Weil and many others. I own a small human resource company and am so excited to implement a Health and Wellness Program for my 100+ employees in an area that is in great need of health and wellness information. I teach pilates and yoga and absolutely love it! I am so inspired by my students and their dedication to healthy living. And of course I do all of this after I pack school lunches, coordinate after school music lessons and sports, give and take positive energy from my family and friends and last but not least make dinner. Life is busy these days.
I grew up in a small town in Michigan in a small house, in a neighborhood, with my parents, 3 siblings, my Popa and my dog. I walked to school, always took a packed lunch, participated in after school activities, socialized with my friends and neighbors and had a home cooked dinner every night as a family. All in all, a pretty great childhood.
I have always been interested in healthy eating. I was taught by example. Real food was food, treats were treats and I can specifically remember the hand full of times we went to McDonald’s or Halo Burger. I don’t ever remember eating organic, or being especially conscious about whole grain or low-fat or anything else like that. I would say that 95% of what we ate was what my mother had made herself and the other 5 % was from a box. I didn’t especially like it back then, taking cut up carrots and green peppers for lunch when all of my other friends had chips and cookies, but I do appreciate it now.
As I came into my late teens, I began to question what the media was advertising as being healthy and making a connection between physical and emotional wellness. I went away to an out-of-state college and gained a freshman 50 eating what I thought was healthy food. Ok, I may have eaten a little more than I should have but none the less I was eating Special K, Bagels, Rice Cakes, Fat-free what ever I could find(because it’s good for you right?) and what ever warm and soothing food I could find to fill my loneliness. Needless to say, I finished out my year and returned back home. I was over weight, a little distracted and on a mission to get back to a better place physically and mentally.
That proved to be a much longer journey than I had originally anticipated because shortly after my return home, my Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She died when I was 23 years old. Growing up she had given me such a gift that it has become part of my soul. The gift of healthy living. The last several months I spent with my mother were sad and difficult and enlightening. I learned that there is so much more to being healthy than just food and everyone needs to take responsibility for themselves when it comes to living in wellness.
I wish that I knew then, what I know now, because I know that I could have done more for her. But from deep inside, that sadness is converted to a passion that is so grand I know there are many people out there that I can help in their quest for a sustainable healthy life and do so in her honor.
So I guess that brings me back to the beginning of my story. Here is what I know for sure, life is busy, health is multidimensional and there are events that happen in your life that can change you forever. So, I continue on my journey in healthful living ( because it is a journey not a destination)to be the best that I can be for my family, my friends and myself. And as always, I welcome new friends to join me along the way.
Keep it Real. Keep it Simple. Make it Matter. – Andrea Hoyt
To find out more about my education and health coaching services go to www.andreahoyt.com.